Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Macadamia & Backpackers White Salad


I’ve seen several times the abbreviation BYO, but I didn’t know what it means. Having a nice guide today while doing the trip up the Wanganui River and as he had the same abbreviations in his leaflets, I asked him. And the mystery was gone: Bring Your Own; in this case BYO lunch (again avocado sandwich). You never stop learning;) But before lunch we had a great snack. On the way we stopped for tea at a nice house owned by an even nicer lady. She was explaining that they have some macadamia (my best nuts!) trees and how much it will cost her this year to collect them etc. Then my bells rang: “Do you have any macadamia to buy?” While was she answering, we were already indulging in hot, just baked, macadamia nuts!!! Incredible, I have never eaten such good and so fresh macadamia. I bought package of them (really cheap, just 2.5 euro) and two macadamia bars – homemade!! Awesome! The day continued to be perfect as I found in a bookstore a vegetarian cookbook (Very easy vegetarian cookbook) written by two New Zealanders. I don’t know if I told you that I collect vegetarian cookbooks from all over the world. Wherever I travel, I have to buy at least one;) Beside the ones I order via Amazon or buy in shop.

My day finished with a Backpackers White Salad. Be ready with: lettuce, 1 carrot, 1 tomato, half avocado, some beans, feta cheese, ¼ cauliflower, vegetarian sausage, olive oil, vinegar and salt. Sauté or cook the cauliflower. Slice the sausage and heat it up in olive oil. Prepare the other veggies in the bowl: first lettuce, than grated carrot, tomato, avocado, beans and on the top feta cheese and cauliflower. Arrange around with the sausage and season with oil, vinegar and salt. Have with a hot cup of golden kiwi tea;)


No comments:

Post a Comment